Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Madness!

Since it was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, Hubby and I decided to do a few things for each other. We said we'd buy each other a card, as well as make each other a card. We also said we'd cook for each other. I made Alton Brown's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls on Friday night, and baked them Saturday morning. So. GOOD. I also made Giada de Laurentiis' Mini Mascarpone Cupcakes with Strawberry Glaze. These were so fun and easy to make! She uses cake mix in a box (which sort of felt like cheating, but I was grateful for the break from making things from scratch), but adds a couple of things to make them work. We used our mini muffin tins to make them, and I wanted to have mini cupcake papers too, but couldn't find any. We also had cheese fondue (we kind of cheated and got an "instant" kind from Trader Joe's) with mushrooms, red and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, and bread for lunch, and to go light for dinner, we had a roasted beet and greens salad with goat cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. We were going to have veal madeira (Hubby's idea), but postponed that to the next day so we wouldn't be stuffed (which we were anyway).

We watched romantic movies (Princess Bride, Hope Floats, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Umbrellas of Cherbourg), and enjoyed each other's company. When we opened each other's cards, I was really hoping that he'd like the one I did for him, since I worked really hard on it, and had put a lot of thought into it. I'd gotten papers and a stamp at Impress, and glued them together to make a card, and used the stamp, and I think it turned out really well. Juan said he was really impressed, and I was really proud of myself for being so crafty. :) It really got my creativity going, and I may have to invest more later in stamps and stuff to make homemade cards. :) Maybe that will be another hobby of mine, along with my non-existent knitting that I'm also doing.

Anyway, it was a great Valentine's Day! And in case you didn't know, I have the best husband ever. :)

1 comment:

  1. Look at you and your craftiness! I didn't even do a card for Jeremiah, just got him some new lounge pants that I sort of want to wear because they are super comfy. And I LOVE Giada. Glad you had such a fun first V-Day with Juan. I don't know how you got him to sit through girly movies, but whatever you did, congrats!

    ReplyDelete