Monday, February 1, 2010

Biggest Loser Pound for Pound Challenge

If you haven't heard about the NBC reality series The Biggest Loser by now, you've probably been living under a rock. Basically, teams of morbidly obese people come to the "ranch", and work out for 6-8 hours a day, complete challenges, weigh in weekly, and are given tools to help them lose weight quickly. Drama ensues, they tape it for our entertainment. Magic happens over the course of about 2 months, and voila, formerly obese people turn into healthy, fit people. Of course, I'm exaggerating; it's not magic. It's hard work, sweat, and determination, combined with help from fitness trainers Bob and Jillian. Where do I fit into all of that?

I work for a hospital satellite clinic in Sammamish, Washington. Recently, everyone at work agreed to do the Biggest Loser Pound for Pound Challenge. Basically, we all vow to lose a certain amount of weight over the course of a couple of months (kinda like the show), and for every pound we lose, a pound of food is donated to our local food bank. Kind of a win-win, right? Well, I've lost about 10 pounds so far (by my calculations; for the challenge, it's more like 4 pounds). Which is great! It's keeping me motivated to see the numbers on the scale go down, and feel that my clothes are fitting better, and looking better on me. Anyway, one of my coworkers (our biggest cheerleader) emailed TBL, and they decided that they're so impressed with us that they're going to come tape us for a one-minute segment to be aired on the show!! Holy cow, I never thought I'd ever be on national television, let alone for losing weight, so this is amazing! They'll be here in late February, and it probably won't air for a while after that, but I'll let you guys know when it happens. I'm gonna be on TV!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this is great news and we thank you so much for participating because what you are doing benefits Food Lifeline and the hunger people in Western Washington. We would love to be involved and could possibly get Matt and Suzy Hoover from Season 2 to come along too, they are our Challenge Champions for the Pound for Pound Challenge. If you'd like to talk about it, please contact me at kristend@fll.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. No really...seriously. Tell me when you are on TV! How freaking awesome! Good luck, and if you ever need motivation to NOT eat that pint of ice cream in the freezer, just give me a call :) Skinny Cow ice cream bars are like 100 calories and so good if you need to get it out of your system. Can't wait to see you in less than two months!!!

    ReplyDelete